Monday, June 16, 2008

Drinking From A Corn Cup

I recently noticed a sign at the local coffee shop I stop at every morning that reads "The cup you are drinking from is made entirely from corn". At first I thought that was a cool idea until I really started to think about what it meant to drink out of a veggie cup. There are starving people all over the world because we have decided to feed our food to vehicles instead of humans. So if I'm drinking out of a veggie cup, that means someone isn't eating the veggies that were used to produce it. While I understand the environment needs to be protected from PVC plastics and other harmful materials, does that come with a price of human life? Why can't using recycled materials be the answer? I know a lot of people don't recycle, but a majority of them would if they had the tools to do so. I recently visited a friend that lives in an upscale neighborhood with big homes and big lots and beautiful golf course and pool and clubhouse. But they didn't have a recycling program, go figure, half of them are now driving a hybrid, but are still throwing their Evian water bottles in the trash. What is so hard about recycling, it has been done for years and still, no one has come up with a solution to make it better and more accessible to people. So why, when we have an environmentally friendly way of making a disposable, biodegradable, compostable cups out of recycled goods would we instead make them out of our food? The human race will eventually kill itself off, and for what? A cup made of corn.
Aren't we smart.

No comments: